Sunday 2 March 2014

Drugstore Eyeshadow Primer Smackdown: MUA Pro Base VS Rimmel Exaggerate Undercover

Yeeeehawww! Welcome guys and gals, it's time for a good old fashioned Smackdown of drugstore eyeshadow primers! 
Ok, with the theatrics over, I'll get right down to it. I have oily eyelids that makes my eyeshadow crease within an hour, so I have to use a primer before I apply my eyeshadow. I always use high end primers, be it Urban Decay, Too Faced or MAC paint pots, and I always love their products and results. But sometimes we don't want to have to cough out £15-£17 for an eyeshadow primer/base! 
I saw these two products in Superdrug and thought I'd test them out and blog about the results for y'all to see. 
Here they are, so now it's time for the test.
Above Left: MUA Pro Base. It's a thick, creamy, flesh coloured base. It applies well and dries quite quickly, but it will quite likely show up on women of colour due to it's finish colour.
Above Right: Rimmel Exaggerate. It's a thinner, clearer base with a slight shimmer. It takes a little while longer to dry but more appropriate for all skin tones due to the sheerer finish. 
Above; my right eye with Rimmel base, with Wet 'n' Wild eyeshadow over the top. Picture taken at 8pm.
Above; my left eye with MUA Pro Base with Wet 'n' Wild eyeshadow over the top. Picture taken at 8pm.
Above, my right eye, 9hrs later at 5am. The colour has faded a little but there's no creasing. Rimmel has done a great job. 
Above, my left eye, 9hrs later at 5am. The colour has faded a little - not quite as much as Rimmel - but again there is no creasing. MUA's primer has also done very well. 

Crease prevention: 
Rimmel 5/5
MUA 5/5

Colour hold over time:
Rimmel 4/5
MUA   5/5

Cost:
Rimmel (£4.99) 4/5
MUA   (£2.50) 5/5

My final thoughts: Although they both performed well, MUA Pro Base won this Smackdown, but only just. My only gripe with the MUA primer is that it contains Methylparaben, which as a rule I try to avoid. That being said, it held colour and prevented creasing very well. Plus it's very affordable at a teeny tiny price of £2.50. Rimmel is definitely a close second place, and worth a try at just £5. 




No comments:

Post a Comment