Friday 18 July 2014

Awful "Hen Do" Embarrassment...

So I was invited to a hen party by my friend (FYI I've never been to a hen do in my life). Her friend was in charge of it, but because I'd accepted so late, the details of where and when we were meeting up were very last minute (I was the one doing all the calling and texting and messaging, trying to find out what was going on, etc). Apparently there was no dress code (just wear a bit of purple) and we were meeting up at 7:15pm. So I turned up at 7:27pm in a mini dress and white skechers wedge heels, with purple smoky eyes (I own no purple clothing) and tonnes of black eyeliner. To my horror, not only was no one there waiting for me where they said I should wait for them, but the place that had been booked was middle-upper class (I'm a working class gal, poor as a church mouse); women milling around in tailored dresses and high heels and the men wearing shirts and ties. I was mortified, to say the least. I was ready for a night out on the town, not an evening meal surrounded by people substantially better off than me (and much more conservatively dressed!), sitting alfresco in the humid evening weather, watching me stand around whilst they ate and drank. I hung around, waiting, being given odd looks by the people passing me by ("The disco is back that way, sweetie,") , either on foot or by car. I waited a full half an hour, looking like a lost club-goer, before I finally flagged a taxi down, jumped in and begged him to take me home as quickly as possible.
Although a dish of humility is needed once every now and again to remain humble, tonight certainly was an experience I would happily never go through again. I was embarrassed, humiliated, stressed and angry. What's worse is that she arrived with her friends just after I'd left, and she left me loads of messages, asking me where I was. I was too angry to answer her. I'm still not happy about it now, but I'm calmer. Still got loads of makeup on, but I'll take it off in a bit. Life, eh? Luck just skips straight past me! Oh, well, onwards and upwards!


No comments:

Post a Comment