Monday 23 May 2011

John Frieda Frizz-Ease 3-Day Straight

Ok, so after a hefty silence of no blogging whatsoever I thought it was about time I stopped procrastinating and just got on with some reviews! And today I will be reviewing the new 3-Day Straight for curly hair by John Frieda.

Basically, what this is is a liquid that you spray onto wet or damp (but not dry) hair, comb through and then blow dry, followed by some hair straighteners. It claims to help keep your hair straight for up to 3 days. Personally, I never fall for the "stays on for up to 12 hrs!" claims because that rarely ever happens so I am naturally not going to assume that my hair will stay straight for 3 whole days. I like to see such claims as those as more of guidelines than the absolute truth. It says to use between 7 and 15 sprays "Use more or less depending on amount of curl, hair length and thickness".
My hair is half way down my shoulder blades, is very thick (I have enough hair on my head for at least three girls), and it is curly to boot. Not massively curly, for my hair is too heavy and tends to pull what would be ringlets into loose curls, so I decided that I am the perfect candidate for this hair product.
Please forgive my total lack of makeup in this blog, I hate my face without the comforting layer of foundation and my eyes are tiny and tired without some mascara to perk them up - but - I am blogging about my hair, so here we go:
My hair is damp with about 12 sprays of the liquid in it, brushed through thoroughly with a paddle brush. Now to commence with the blow drying. Just so you know I don't blow dry my hair - ever - even though I do own a hair dryer I don't use it more than maybe once a year. I'm a big fan of letting my hair dry naturally :)
 Eurgh! This is me after my pitiful attempt at blow drying my hair straight. I don't look happy because my hair is now half straight and big and fluffy, which I personally detest. Also I would like to say that at this stage my hair has taken on a slightly sticky quality, due to the Frizz-Ease liquid in it. Quickly! Time for the straighteners (which are four year old GHD's)!!
This is... well... sort of... the end result... Basically after I had finished straightening with my GHD's, my hair, with the help of John Frieda, was straight but completely weightless. Weightless, straight, thick hair means BIG hair and big hair is a BIG no-no for me. I have heard and read how it makes your hair poker straight and flat to your head. For me this is completely untrue, and I hated how my hair was straight AND orbiting around my head like it had its own gravitational field. So I grabbed up my trusty Paul Mitchell smoothing Super Skinny Serum:
This liquid should be clear and smell really deliciously fruity, but unfortunately I left it in the bathroom window in the summer sun, so now it is translucent-ish and smells a bit weird but still does the job. I used about three pumps of this and smoothed it all over my hair, and then last but not least rubbed two pea sized amounts of John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette Satin Shine to help weigh my hair down that tiny bit more:
And then my hair finally started to look as smooth as it usually gets when I straighten it normally. To be completely honest, I am not entirely impressed by this 3-Day Straight stuff. I won't be testing it for three days because I simply can't leave my hair unwashed for that long because greasy hair is a definite turn off in my opinion. I won't be buying this again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone either due to my experiences. From now on I will let my hair dry naturally and use a heat protector spray before using my straighteners for a much better result without the need to use all the extra products.

1 comment:

  1. Follow up the next day: My hair was so poofy and unmanageable that I tied it back into a sleek-ish looking pony tail. Even going through with the hair straighteners (like they suggest you may want to do) didn't help! I can't wait to wash this stuff out of my hair! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete